Lunark: Getting Retro With Rotoscoping

Lunark: Getting retro with rotoscoping

Hello PlayStation Blog readers! My name is Johan Vinet and I am the creator of Lunark, a pixel art sci-fi action game that pays homage to the 2D cinematic platformers of the 1990s.

Cinematic platforms attempted to immerse players by depicting systematic and realistic character dynamics governed by the laws of physics. Classics like Jordan Mechner's Prince of Persia, Eric Chahir's Out of This World, and Paul Quisset's Flashbacks achieve this reality through detailed and vivid animations, as well as editing that highlights gameplay moments for players and creates a unique visual style. and recognizable through a rotoscope. . . .

Lunark: back with rotoscoping

Rotoscoping is traditionally a technique that tracks images frame by frame to create realistic animation before motion is captured. Fortunately, modern technology has made rotoscoping more accessible. With a touch of creativity and a smartphone and graphics tablet, I was able to use this "lost art" to bring Lunark to life.

Here is a summary of my workflow for creating scenes in Lunarq.

Step 1: Storyboard

The first step is to create a storyboard. Define the overall look of the scene, including the characters, camera angles, and main action.

Step 2: Planning

After storyboarding, I move into the planning phase where I select locations (mostly my house) and props, and determine if 3D modeling is necessary. For example, in one scene I found that making a "crystal" out of cardboard (and covering it with light glue to reflect it) gave better and faster results than modeling it in 3D.

Step 3: Shoot

Most of the cuts in Lunark are done using rotoscoping and still don't require visual or audio recording. There I was armed with a tripod and my smartphone to record the scene myself, specially dressed to match the main character Leo. I also put some tape on the leather sleeve to mimic the yellow stripes on Leo's jacket so I can use it as a visual cue when looking at the photos later. (Which was a bad idea because it totally messed up my arm!)

Working with the tools I had, I got out of the dryer to take a low-angle shot and filmed myself as Leo opened the vent to turn on the faucet and zip lined onto my kids' playground. Playgrounds to simulate the escape from buildings.

Step 4: Clean up the images

After shooting, I transfer the video files to the computer, where I use Photoshop or After Effects to select the best frames, crop, and colorimetrically touch up the video if the subject needs to be opened up a bit more. At this stage, I can add effects like puppet zoom or simulate character movement. That's what happens when I reduce the number of frames per second to 24 to give the final result a cinematic feel (and save a lot of work). The video will be changed to the game's final resolution.

Step 5: Paint the frame with the frame

This is where the hard part begins! Using Photoshop, I draw and paint the character on the video frame, following a preset color palette.

Step 6: Draw the landscape

This step can take many forms. With the scene still in progress (as you see Leo's hand slowly approaching that mysterious ancient carving), I draw the background directly between the pixels. If it's lively or complex (for example, a scene in which the camera uses a "dolly zoom" to reveal quick details of Leo's ship, a cinematic effect made famous by directors like Alfred Hitchcock), I can use the 3D software for modeling and rendering objects. or buildings. , then I use it as a pattern to match the visual style of drawing or cleaning.

Step 7: Clay

断网 完整版

断网 完整版

断网 完整版

深海 完整版

深海 完整版

深海 完整版

交换人生 完整版

交换人生 完整版

交换人生 完整版

满江红 完整版

满江红 完整版

满江红 完整版

无名 完整版

无名 完整版

无名 完整版

流水落花 完整版

流水落花 完整版

流水落花 完整版

中国乒乓之绝地反击 完整版

中国乒乓之绝地反击 完整版

中国乒乓之绝地反击 完整版

保你平安 完整版

保你平安 完整版

保你平安 完整版

回廊亭 完整版

回廊亭 完整版

回廊亭 完整版

流浪地球2 完整版

流浪地球2 完整版

流浪地球2 完整版

荒原 完整版

荒原 完整版

荒原 完整版

風再起時 完整版

風再起時 完整版

風再起時 完整版

阿凡達:水之道 完整版

阿凡達:水之道 完整版

阿凡達:水之道 完整版

Wann wird es endlich wieder so, wie es nie war ganzer Film

Sonne und Beton ganzer Film

Tár ganzer Film

Creed III ganzer Film

Die drei ??? - Erbe des Drachen ganzer Film

Ein Mann Namens Otto ganzer Film

Avatar 2: The Way of Water ganzer Film

Magic Mike's Last Dance ganzer Film

Everything Everywhere All at Once ganzer Film

Die Fabelmans ganzer Film

Mumien - Ein total verwickeltes Abenteuer ganzer Film

While most of the scenes use the same musical jingle, some require additional custom work, so I create sound effects or longer music to accompany the action.

Step 8: Integration

Finally, the scene is exported and the game engine (in this case GameMaker) is integrated with the appropriate triggers. When the player grabs an item like shield energy core, the game will show a close-up of the action, or when you have completed the main objective, a long cutscene will play, connecting the different levels and giving a glimpse of the game. . Cinematic sensation at the same time. feel the nature

Thanks for reading this article! I hope the results will please both movie platformers and new players familiar with the genre with Lunark, published by WayForward and coming to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 on March 30.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post